Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow, Auld Lang Syne, And More Snow

“Another fresh new year is here . . .
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!

This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!”


William Arthur Ward

Now that we have dug out, literally, of 2009--that is 24" of snow--we can put aside the snow blowers, shovels and scrapers, and with a faint smell of Bengay in the air, hobble into a new decade. In taking our first tentative steps into 2010 let us remember those we have met and helped us on our travels through life; and understanding that we can achieve nothing on our own, commit ourselves to help others who we may chance to meet in our travels through the coming year.

With the snow gone, and those little aches and pains subsiding, lets take another look-- without worrying about getting to work, or with last minute shopping hanging over us, or cursing the fact that the car was just plowed in after you just finished digging it out--at the snow storm of 2009 and a few other scenes and thoughts thrown in.......

Peace on Earth. Good Will Towards Men
Fredericksburg-- Christmas has become too frantic for me. And with my children grown up, and my grandchildren about five states over, the wonder and joy that the season has brought in the past is gone. However, scenes like this remind me of Christmases past both as a child and as a parent. And soon I am also remembering what we are really celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment