Friday, October 8, 2010

I Pulled A Pooh

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."

Winnie the Pooh

Most of us are sensible people. We travel the shortest distance between two points as quickly as possible. We are task oriented and play by the rules. Being sensible is ingrained in us and to do otherwise we believe is to lose focus and waste valuable time that could be better spent doing more sensible things. We also fear that straying from the sensible course will bring about chaos and uncertainty.........Or maybe not?

This week I was off to attend the annual company conference . I put the address into my GPS, not bothering to confirm it of course (It's a guy thing), and the most direct route was calculated (the shortest distance thing) and off I went ........ It was about an hour into the trip when I started to feel a bit uneasy(that ingrained sensibility thing) . My surroundings were not as I remembered then from previous years. The sensible thing to do was to check in to confirm where I was going. In this case the sensible course of action lost out to a desire to play fast and loose with the rules and continue exploring my new surroundings.


When I was about seven miles from my, "destination," I finally called in and learned that I had punched in the wrong resort into my GPS. Where I was supposed to be was about 60 miles north or where I was. The sensible thing to do at that point would be to become highly agitate (the whole shortest distance/time wasting thing again) and question my GPS's parentage while throwing it across the road--It gave me the wrong directions didn't it?


Fear not my GPS is still firmly attached to my windshield. I decided to accept, "...that something just happened along the way," and realized I now had another hour of exploring to enjoy. The moral of the story is that happiness is tied to more than just straight lines, time management, and other sensible things. And that a little uncertainty and chaos can also be fun. And now for your viewing pleasure.....................


The Road Warrior
Yours truly embarking on another road trip into the unknown. With me are the essentials. My trusty Garmin GPS to make sure I don't following the most direct routes. My Fuzzy dice to insure I can find my car in mall parking lots. You would be amazed of the number of 2010 Ford Fusions are on the road today. Also can't really tell the difference between a Focus and a Fusion. But I digress. My pine tree shaped air freshener that smells like vanilla (I can't explain it either) to cover the smells of stale coffee, burgers and fries, and smoke from the fire loss I just left. My hand carver German Rosary given to me by my son. Yes, God is my co-pilot. I need all the help I can get. And finally no car is complete without a bobble head. In my case a Stu bobble head from the movie The Hangover. When the bobble head moves it recites three lines from the movie. Needless to say I now have them all memorized and they are now getting a little irritating. Hey, I just noticed in the picture the button for my hazzard lights. Go thing to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment