Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Drive By Shootings--Sposylvania, Montross, Heathsville and Some Places in Between

My apologies for the gap between postings but putting a new computer, camera, and photo program into the hands of a 50-something male is not much different than letting a chimpanzee change the oil in your car.

"One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon--instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our window today."

Dale Carnegie
For no particular reason I decided that during my travels over the past two days I would only take photos from my car. In coming to this decision I realized how far I had come in my life. When I was nineteen I would have been tossing empty Miller "pony" bottles over the roof of my car trying to hit mailboxes. Ah, how we mellow with age.............
A Prophesy Comes To Pass?
The Orange County Board of Supervisors voted to allow a Walmart to be built on the Wilderness Battlefield. Concerns about its impact and future development in the area were discounted by Supervisors. Twenty-five plus years ago this would be a photo of fields on either side of the road. It is the site of the Battle of Salem Church. A uproar occurred when a Texaco station was to be build at the far right. It was later approved--after the applicant agreed to give the station a "colonial" look. It was stated then that a single gas station would not have a significant impact on the battlefield. Today the station had been replaced by a bank and shopping centers on both sides of the road. The clump of trees in the upper right corner is all that is left of the battlefield.

No comments:

Post a Comment