Monday, August 3, 2009

I Have Returned—A Visit to the Ancestral Sod

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

Saint Augustine

I have returned from the family wanderings in Ireland. And to my credit, I am told; I turned in the rental car with the mirrors intact, with only very minor scratches to the finish on the passenger side, and only missed one turn on a roundabout. With me I have brought back roasted barley from the Guinness brewery in Dublin, slate from the Cliffs of Moher, 361 photographs and 113 video clips. And now a quick travelogue and then its back to the back roads of Virginia………………

Day One--Bunratty





















Bunratty Castle
Impressive on the outside. Too touristy on the inside. Located only a few miles from Shannon Airport. This is a major tourist hangout.

My First Pub
My travel companions crashed soon after our arrival. Having nothing better to do I put down a few pints at the local pub which is a converted creamery--thus the name. I must say I left a bit disillusioned when I saw Budweiser and Coors Light on tap and were informed they were quite popular in Ireland. The Coors Light being quite popular with the ladies. This fact and the realization that there were more Yankee than Boston fans in Ireland were the two greatest shocks during my visit.



An Abandoned Church Yard
Located directly behind our hotel was this abandoned church yard. The cemetery is still in use. I did notice that a few distant cousins have been laid to rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment