Thursday, September 17, 2009

Road Trip, Spotsylvania, Caroline and King William Counties

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."
Charles Kuralt

Taking Charlie's advice I avoided I-95 I taking the back way to King William County through Spotsylvania and Caroline Counties by way of Rt. 2, Rt. 301 and Rt. 30. It is amazing what one can discover when you slow down, stop to look over a bridge abutment, or just make a random turn just to see what lurks off the beaten path...
How the Mighty Have Fallen
Heading south crossing over Ruffins Pond on Rt. 2 you will see off to your left in the distance two old bridges standing alone in the middle of the pond. I've always wanted to take a closer look at them and so I took the first left I could make to see if I could get a closer look. This one lane road today is known as Bartlett Lane. In the day of wagons and horses, and the dawn of the automobile, this was Rt.2 & 17--Tidewater Trail. In talking to some of the locals it wasn't paved until the early 20's. The road dead ends at which point there is a chain across it with a "No Tresspassing" sign. The property owner was kind enough to give me permission to travel a bit further...........

No comments:

Post a Comment