Sunday, May 22, 2011


May My Garmin Burn In Hell!

Madison Co. VA--My Garmin said, "turn right here," so I did.  It is not unusual in rural Virginia to find yourself on gravel or dirt roads. But in this case I'd have to say without exaggeration that this road ranks in the top 100 of The World's Most Dangerous Roads. Actually considered sending in a suggestion for them to film a segment on this piece of Johnson Road. Is that a smirk I see? Hey, quit with the rolling of the eyes!

I'm driving a 2010 Ford Fusion which does not have big road clearance. Actually the worst section of the road starts after the next rise. But because I had a death grip on the steering wheel as I drove through small lakes and clay morasses while also trying to avoid foot deep ruts as my wheels spun and the steering wheel kept trying to jerk me to the left or right, I didn't think much for reaching over to get my camera. The "high point" of this adventure came as I glanced back up from my (expletive deleted) Garmin which was telling me I still had another 1.5 miles to go and I saw a tree had fallen across the road. Then I had a fun time backing up about 100 yards to a point where I could turn around.

I made it back to where I had started. Got out of the car, Waited about five minutes to get some circulation back in my hands and then took the picture. I later discovered that if I had continued on Rt. 522  I would have still reached my destination while only having to drive another mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment